Friday, December 11, 2009

Oil paint to latex/a rock and a polluted place

Well I must say the new rules on paint are welcome, but I still have a rant, as a professional of course. 2010 stores will NOT be able to stock alkyd (oil) based paint. I hate the smell of oil paint but it's soooo.. nice to have time to work with it when painting murals or faux finishing. Even just slapping a coat on the wall it flows out nicely and guess what?, after you finish you usually dispose of the roller and wash out the brush in paint thinner and let that thinner stand in an old can and then reuse it for washing the next brush. Fast forward to the future, which is now.
Latex is water soluble and loaded with chemicals unheard of 20 years ago. Although we are assured the new latex is low in VOC's, ummm , now the paint is dry before you have a chance to scratch your nose, and , try faux finishes with this stuff, even with the extenders they sell separately. Then we are ready to clean up. Wash the brush and roller in the sink and watch all those chemicals go into the sea, ummm very smart.
Are we creating a bigger monster? I for one have decided to dispose of my rollers after the job instead of trying to wash them. I do put them in a 5 gallon bucket and see if I can reuse them but wash them? not.

No comments:

Post a Comment